Saturday, July 16, 2011

The Picture of Dorian Gray


I have often heard of this book but never gotten around to reading it. If you know anything about Oscar Wilde you won't be surprised at the very overt undertones. I was surprised then I remembered who wrote it and it made perfect sense.
I won't summaries because I hate when people do that. Too many people get caught up in the part about the picture ageing for Dorian. This book is about human nature not 'be careful what you wish for' but more about how we see ourselves and how others see us. Human nature is untamable, we are what time and temptations have made of us and there is no turning back.

There is humor in the book but with a bitter after taste. What Lord Henry says in jest, Dorian Grey turns into his sour reality. The book is dark but not depressing and it also makes you glad to age. Which is something we all need a reminder of.

No comments:

Post a Comment